Thursday, May 19, 2005

Times....they are a changin'

Whoa Nelly!! Talk about "Who moved my cheese." Moved it? I think someone ate that nasty, foot smellin', hunk of rotten milk. I can't even find it.

See, things are advancing at a rapid pace around here. Changing, moving, evolving...so to speak. Now, I'm not allergic to change...as a matter of fact, I kinda like to change things up every so often to break the monotony. Problem is, is this change for the better? For me anyway?

New guy comes in, new General Sales Manager. My boss likened him to Jesus practically. Whatever. Apparently he's good. Thing is, the owner of our company really has the final say in what happens around here. Or at least he did until yesterday when this guy came in.

So this new GSM is making changes left and right. We're going to do this this way and that that way, yadda yadda yadda. We're going to revamp the way we market, change the way the ads look, and blah blah blah.

"Uh...ummm...hey boss, isn't that our job? Aren't we the ones that have been doing that?"

See, traditionally businesses in this industry do not have an in-house advertising agency. It was a new thing they are/were trying. Typically, the GSMs design the ads, come up with campaigns, and they have a 3rd party agency that does all the artwork and TV and radio spots. Now, since this guy is so used to doing it his way, and he has in fact been given free reign to do whatever the hell he wants, now I fear for my job. I saw on my bosses computer that he was working on his resume. Interesting. (No, I wasn't snooping. My computer was acting up. Well, it just happened to be glaring at me as the most recent document being worked on.)

Funny thing was, my boss was the owner's lap dog. I think that's why he's been kept around. Now that the owner got a new prize puppy...the mutt that is my boss may be out on the streets. Now, where does that leave me? Don't know. I have some valuable assets that might force them to keep me here (until I can find another job, that is. I don't care about this one except as a means to pay bills while I look elsewhere) so I'm not really sure where that leaves me. I do the Web stuff and I'm well-versed in our CRM software. No one else knows how to do this. Does that give me a sense of security? NO.

This place doesn't give two shits about their employees. I can tell you that much. I don't care about losing this job, just about losing it before I can replace it. So I'm not confident that GSM sees our department as a necessity. He's been somewhere and been very successful without an in house agency. This company has been very successful in the past without one. We are pretty much expendable. And under scrutiny.

Now, the majority of this is speculation. I could be inventing my very own "conspiracy theory", but I don't think so. You know that feeling? THE feeling. I've got that. I'm just trying to do all that I can to portray a sense of importance right now, and get out while I can.

This is not the kind of change I like. Not when the change is me and the unemployment office is the vending machine. Surprisingly, I'm not super stressed or freaking out. I'm pretty much "whatever" about the whole thing. Guess I just gotta see what happens. If I panic, then I won't act in an educated way. I'll just go with the flow:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home