Monday, April 18, 2005

Why I'm happy I'm not married.

Why I'm happy I'm not married
by
KelBel

I'm happy I'm not married because this weekend I witnessed firsthand what marriage can turn into. I know there are marriages that work, and work well for that matter, but holy crap in a bucket my friends are in some BAD marriages.
You see, I have one friend here whose husband has cheated on her at least twice...because those 2 times we caught him (oh yes, men, women will find out). They have 4...yeah 4 kids together. She's 28, has no skills, no job, and no money without him. She won't leave because she wouldn't survive. I don't really give a crap because I would frickin' leave in a heartbeat....of course, I would never let myself end up in a situation like that. He makes a boatload of money so she'll be set forever.
I have another friend that came into town this weekend with her husband. She's always been a little nutty and I guess so has he. She's like the devil and he's one of those little imps that the devil makes do his dirty work and controls them. Oh man, I felt bad for him. She was ordering him around and giving him dirty looks. She would look at him and tell him he was an idiot. Once we started drinking, it got worse. She would look at him with this disgusted look on her face and tell him he completely grossed her out. He just took it. He also has a boatload of money and she doesn't work.
The two couples were competing. It was crazy. If one of them had thought about buying a BMW, the other had thought about a Mercedes. If one had a $350,000 home, then the other had a $400,000 home. I just thought "How about wanting to have the best marriage...about being the happiest?"Nope, it was..."We're getting ready to go to Jamaica." "We're going to buy a second home in La Jolla." I was just happy I wasn't them. No matter how much I bitch about being poor, I would rather be poor and happy and single than rich and miserable and in a bad marriage.
Myself and my best friend kept repeatedly thanking baby jesus that this wasn't us. Next time I'm thinking I want to find someone, I just need to remember this. I don't want to end up like these people, ever. Don't get me wrong...I'm not opposed to marriage and I don't think everyone ends up like this. But for fuck's sake patrick, I'm in no hurry to meet someone and tie the knot. Not if I'm not 100% sure. I wanted to get married before and think "Thank goodness I didn't" because I'm not even with that person anymore. Where would I be now?
The End
P.S. Has anyone ever gotten up on the roof to help their parents hook up the AC in 90 degree weather with a MASSIVE hangover caused by the effects of beer, margaritas (lots!), vodka and red bull (lots!), tequila shots (2), more beers, more vodka red bull, and then vodka sodas? Let me tell you, if you have never done this...don't. I was standing on the roof, liquor-scented sweat literally pouring down my face, and wondering exactly how bad it would hurt if I lost my balance and plummeted to the cement. Not kidding...do not, I repeat, DO NOT try this at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home