Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I, too, have a dream

This week's Flash Fiction challenge:
1. Maximum length: 250 words.
2. The theme is: power
3. The time is: 1968
4. Within the story, you must use this text: all due respect.
Make sure to link back to Diminished Fifth's site.


April 4, 1968. I had so many plans. I wanted so much to make a difference. A name. Today was the day.

It was all mapped out. So far everything was running smoothly.

My first stop, Big Jim’s Guns N’ More.

“’Scuse me, sir. Can ya hep me please?” I asked the guy at the counter.


“What is it yer lookin’ fer mister?” he asked, eyeing me intently.

“I’m lookin’ fer a rifle. Fer huntin’.” I said.

“Any patic’lar rifle?” the curiousity beaming from his eyes.

“Why yessir, I’m lookin’ for a 30.06. You got any of those?” I asked.

He nodded, produced a key out from under his quilted flannel, and turned around to a large glass case.

It was beautiful.

American walnut stock. A straight comb and cheekpiece. Sharp 20-line per-inch cut checkering and swivel studs. A tasteful satin finish.

“I’ll take it.” I said with unmistakable awe.

The man behind the counter eyed me suspiciously.

“What’s this fer? Big game huntin’?” He asked.

“Exactly.”

“All due respec, you know how ta use one of these things?”

“Sure do.”

I could feel the excitement building. This was it. The moment was coming. I’d make history. 6pm sharp.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home