Friday, March 18, 2005

"You're preaching to the choir"

One of my bosses favorite cliches. Some of the others on his list include:

It has to get worse, before it gets better--As in "Are you going to call back Mr. So-and-so? He's called 35 times today?"
Him: It has to get worse, before it gets better.

All good things come to those that wait-- As in "There's a man downstairs that had an appointment with you an hour ago."
Him: All good things come to those that wait

Everything is vanity-- As in "The ad for the newspaper needs changes made to it."
Him: Everything is vanity

The truth is just as meaningful as the lie-- As in "The next call that comes in is going right to you. I'm not pretending like you're not here anymore."
Him: The truth is just as meaningful as the lie

Hurry when you have time, then you'll have time when you are in a hurry--As in "Will you stop walking away for a second, I have to talk to you."
Him: Hurry when you have time, then you'll have time when you are in a hurry

When God gives you lemons, make lemonade-- As in "The TV station called and they can't run our spot because it's too long."
Him: When God gives you lemons, make lemonade

Never forget that you are unique, just like everybody else-- As in "I need you to sign this so we can meet the deadline."
Him: Never forget that you are unique, just like everybody else

The road to success is always under construction-- As in "How can I get anything done if you're never around to give the ok on things?"
Him: The road to success is always under construction

Now I realize some of these make sense and some don't, that's him. The frustrating part is...I get the cliche and then his back as he's walking off so half the time I'm left with my mouth hanging open and no resolution. There are just some things here I don't have the authority to go ahead and do on my own, and with a leader like this it's impossible to keep your sanity. I don't know how many people that I talk to ask me "Does he always speak in cliche-code?" Yes, yes he does. Thanks for noticing.

On a lighter note, it's FRIDAY!!! This is my favorite rockin out Friday song. Always gets me pumped!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home