Wednesday, March 16, 2005

It's a mystery to me

My head was throbbing.
What the hell happened?
I remember walking through the house and into the darkest, coldest, creepiest cellar I’ve ever seen. My biggest fear was of the
spiders.
Until now.
I had a suspicion I was no longer in that dank cellar, although I couldn’t figure out where I was. Or why it felt like someone was playing drums inside my head. I was completely in the dark.
Where am I?
Did I slip and fall and hit my head?
Maybe.
That would explain the throbbing, but not this place. I could see a crack of light coming from somewhere. I followed the light.
Eventually I came to a door.
Just open it, for the sake of your sanity, you can see it leads out into the open. Into the sunlight and possibly into an explanation of where you are. Maybe even how you got here.
I pushed the door open with the mandatory squeak that all doors seem to make when you’re trying to be quiet.
I walked out into the sunlight and into the bustle of everyday life that seemed to be masked by that closed door.
Something is not quite right.
Everyone looked different but I couldn’t quite place what was different about them. I turned to look at the place I had just come out of and it was a store. Full of people.
How the…??
I noticed a copy of a newspaper on the rack just inside the window.
Moscow-Pullman Daily News November 13, 1958.
Moscow Idaho 1958??


This week's challenge:
1) If you do this week's challenge, be sure to let me know, please.
2) Also, link back to Diminished Fifth... if nothing else, he'll seethat people are following that link to his site, and will investigate.

Okay.Now.
1. Maximum length: 250 words.
2. The setting is: Moscow, USSR
3. The year is: 1958.
4. Within the story, you must use this text: for the sake.
If you prefer, you can set it in Moscow, Idaho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home