Friday, March 11, 2005

Accidents do happen, or do they?

Flash Fiction challenge!
The rules are as follows:
Maximum length: 250 words.
Location: a mall
Within the story, you must use this text: not going to happen

You’ve heard those stories. You know the ones I’m talking about. The “urban legends”. It’s always your friend’s sister or your sister’s best friend’s cousin that it happened to. The one where the girl’s roommate leaves the apartment, realizes she forgot something that just so happened to be in her roommate’s room, and goes back for it. She doesn’t turn on the light because she doesn’t want to wake her roommate. Later, when she comes home the police are there and they tell her she’s lucky she didn’t turn on the light. You know that story and so many like it.

Well, this one is no urban legend. This really happened. It happened to me.

It was a Friday. I remember because the next day was the biggest day of my life. I was getting married to the most wonderful guy (sickening, I know). I decided I needed to stop by the mall and pick up a little something for my wedding night. I knew nothing I had gotten at my bridal shower was quite sexy enough.

In a hurry to make it to my rehearsal dinner, with just enough time to spare, I hurried out into the oncoming dusk. With my mind being so preoccupied, I never heard the car approaching me from behind.

The car hit me and I hit the hood with a loud THUMP. I was thrown over the car and onto the street. Unfortunately for me, that wasn’t the end of the pain I would suffer. That was not an accident, but in my confused state I didn’t realize it. The man apologized profusely and offered—I should say insisted on-- taking me to the hospital as he helped me into his car. The most special day of my life was not going to happen. Ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home