Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The homeless man at the stoplight and the snob of fast foods

So, I'm driving along on my way to lunch today, when I come to a stoplight that I pass every day. I think the homeless people rotate and take turns. Anyway, I'm sitting there at the stoplight and looking at this homeless guy. He's wearing a T-shirt that says "got money?" like the got milk slogan. I started laughing...I mean, that's pretty damn gutsy and clever. Of course I gave him money. I usually do if I have some, but this guy got extra for originality. Then I was thinking, I wonder where he got that shirt? Did he have it made or do they make those? If he did, I wonder how much of his hard earned begging money he had to spend on it. Wouldn't that money be better spent on booze or something?

Then I got to thinking, I wonder what he actually does spend his money on. Does he enjoy the $.99 menu at McDonald's or is he more of a Jack in the Crack kind of guy? There's no way he could be a Wendy's man though. And here's why:

I was thinking about this too because my lunch destination was, in fact, Wendy's. First I was wondering why Wendy's is always far away. I mean, from everyone I've heard, you always have to drive quite a way to get to Wendy's...I did (even with the outrageous gas prices). Wendy's isn't ever easily accessible. You don't ever see the signs on the Highway that say: "Wendy's, next right". All the other fast food restaurants make an appearance, but not Wendy. Wendy tends to stick to better neighborhoods and better locations. Wendy's is the snob of the fast food restaurants. Now, don't get me wrong...I love Wendy...she's like a Pippi Longstocking and you gotta love her. She'd never hang out with a clown or a star or a big boy (whatever the hell a big boy is) and I admire that. She's got class and class means quality. Wendy's isn't a homeless-man-come-in-and-get-a-JBH kinda place. It's more of a take-your-kids-to-Wendy's-because-it's-more-healthy-"feeling"-place.

So, I'm standing in line at Wendy's (because I thought it would be faster than waiting in the 20 car long line) surrounded by the entire student body of the high school near the Wendy's (was not faster) and I get an idea. Yes, me with an idea.

I thought that homeless guy needed a little JBH combo. I mean, why not right. I bet he doesn't get that and he looked like he needed it. So, I purchased an extra meal (with a regular coke because a. he didn't look like a diet coke kinda guy and b. that way he could put whiskey in it). I get to the stoplight and alas, he had already moved on. Maybe that 5 dollars I gave him sent him off to Mickey D's for the 2 cheeseburgers meal. What became of the extra JBH meal you ask? I passed it on to another fortunate soul at work who hadn't had lunch yet. At least I helped someone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home