Wednesday, March 30, 2005

It's nudie magazine day! It's nudie magazine day!

I checked my email this morning and I don't know how all this crap is getting into my inbox through my junk filter, but here's what I found:

From : Barry John Iwu
Sent : Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:22 AM
To :
barriwu@latinmail.com
Subject : FOR YOUR INHERITANCE.


Commonwealth BankDocumentary Credit,
Level2, Commonwealth Plaza 2,
Victoria Island, Lagos.
E-mail Service: barriwu@latinmail.com
Telex: 888401.
(cut some stuff out)
I Am Dr.Barry John Iwu A Senior Staff With The Commonwealth Bank I and the chief security officer (Cso) of our bank have arranged with an officerin computer section engineer chuka iloh (who??)to bring out part of your inheritancetotal sum amounting to Five Million United States Dollar. Why we did this isbecause according to information gathered from our ordering customer ShallDevelopment Corporation and the bank’s computer, you have been waiting for along time to receive your money without success(I have??). As I found out that you havealmost met all the statutory requirements of the bank in respect of yourinheritance payment(News to me). Your problem is that of interest groups. A lot of peopleare interested in your payment and those people are merely doing paper workswith you and that explains why you receive fax and phone messages fromdifferent people in Nigeria everyday(Strange, haven't talked to anyone from Nigeria lately). We haveconcluded that you must compensate us with Five Hundred Thousand United StatesDollars as soon as you receive your money. To this effect, you will send us apromissory note for Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollar along with your address for sending the boxes by courier(interesting...so I send you this money first?). Please maintain topmost secrecy asit may cause a lot of problems if found out hat we are using this way to helpyou(oh, ok. I won't tell). Do not ever tell anybody about this until you have your money. I want tohelp you because something in me is telling me hat you are an honest person(at least one of us is).When you conclude this and you send our promise, we will help to ship the finalpart of your money to you.God be with us as we wait for your reply.

Yours faithfully,
Dr. Barry John Iwu.
Commonwealth Bank

Now, I know that we all know this a hoax...but I just started thinking about it and I was like "Does anyone ever actually do this?" I'm sure there are those people who fall for the scams here and there, but this one is asking for FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS. What am I, new? If I had five hundred thousand dollars just laying around...do you think I'd need the five million? I'd probably have that much and more if I had five hundred thousand to spare. I guess I don't understand anyone who would fall for something like this. If I had been trying to get an inheritance and had almost gotten them everything they needed...wouldn't I know about some kind of inheritance then? I mean, it wouldn't come as total shock and surprise to me. Oh yeah, and shhh, don't tell anyone until you get the money. Oh, never then?

On a completely unrelated note....I don't know why I had so many drinks last night, I can't remember. There was no reason for a Tuesday night drinking binge...yet, I indulged to my little heart's content. Yep, drank myself some tequila shots (and the other half of other's shots who didn't finish them). I can't understand what I was thinking. Luckily, I made it home by 11pm. Woke up around 2 thinking "I'm most likely going to throw up right now." Got up, dry heaved for a few minutes, realized I could maybe hold it in (not a good idea), went to get a big tall glass of water and went back to bed. With the way I feel today, I wish to God I had just thrown up last night. I hear if you take milk thistle before you go to sleep when you've been drinking, you won't have a hangover. Totally gonna try that next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home